Oh, the mighty chain stitch. Use any thread and on any fabric. There are few as cool as this one. I mean, there are plenty that are beautiful and interesting and complex. But, from country western singers to roadhouse bikers... the chain stitch is the cool kid on everyone's favorite jacket.
The chain stitch is super useful and has dozens of variations. Let's start with the basic chain stitch.
- Bring the needle up through the fabric
- Then go back down right next to where you came up
- Leave a large loop, do not pull the thread tight
- Bring the needle back up through the loop you just made
- Again go back down next to where you just came up
- That's it. Repeat!
This is just the tip of the iceberg. There are so many ways to do the chain stitch, we are just getting started. How exciting!